If I pay child maintenance, should I pay for anything else?

Children are expensive and often want to attend clubs such as football, brownies, dance, or swimming, and go on school trips. All these things demand a financial contribution from parents, but should someone who is paying child maintenance pay for additional extra-curricular activities and expenses beyond this? This article looks at the issues.