Will My Spousal Maintenance/Support Payments be Taxed?

  • Pensions
  • Employment
  • Investments
  • Property

However, you do not have to declare any maintenance payments – either child or spousal support – when you apply for tax credits.

Do I pay tax on child maintenance payments I receive?

As with spousal maintenance, you don’t pay any Income Tax on any child maintenance payments that you receive.

Do I pay tax on child maintenance payments I make?

If you are the person paying child maintenance, you will be paying this out of your post-tax income and so these payments are not taxed. In addition, you can’t benefit from any tax relief on these maintenance payments.

The exception to this, and where tax relief is available on maintenance payments, is where:

  • Either you or your ex-spouse were born before 6 April 1935
  • You are paying court-ordered maintenance following the end of a relationship (divorce, separation or dissolution)
  • The payments are for the maintenance of either your former spouse or civil partner (as long as they have not remarried or are in a new civil partnership) OR for any children you have under the age of 21.

This is called Maintenance Payments Relief. Under the relief, you can claim up to 10% of £3,260 of the maintenance you pay to your former spouse/civil partner – so up to £326 a year.


Do you need help with your divorce?

Get in touch now with one of our panel of specialist local family solicitors.

If relevant, please include below the name of the other party (so the solicitor can check they have not already provided advice to your partner):

Your details are NOT used by Wiselaw after you submit them. Your data is secured and encrypted the moment you send it. By sending this form you agree to Wiselaw's Terms and Privacy Policy. This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Noticed an error on this page or something broken? If so, please email us at support[at]wiselaw.co.uk.

The information on this website is to be considered a guide and is therefore not legal advice. You use this information with the understanding that Wiselaw does not accept liability for any direct or indirect losses as a result of anyone relying on or acting upon the information on this website. Whilst we endeavour to provide accurate information, Wiselaw does not accept liability for any errors or omissions on this website.