Can my child sleep at my new partner’s house, and do I need the other parent’s permission?

Introducing a new partner can be fraught with difficulty, not least from an ex, who may object fiercely to the involvement of a third party. Not surprisingly, this is often a source of huge conflict. In this article, we explore the legal aspects surrounding this issue, providing clarity and guidance for parents seeking to navigate these delicate situations.

Entering a new relationship can bring about exciting changes, but for separated or divorced parents, it may also raise questions and concerns about the well-being of their children. One common query that arises is whether a child can sleep at their parent’s new partner’s house, and whether the other parent’s permission is required.

What is in the child’s best interests?

When determining any matter concerning children, the primary consideration is what is in the best interests of the child. This principle, enshrined in the Children Act 1989, ensures that decisions are made with the child’s welfare as the utmost priority. As such, the question of whether your child can sleep at your new partner’s house should be viewed in light of factors including the child’s age, emotional well-being, and the nature of the relationship with your new partner.

Do I need to have parental responsibility to object?

Unmarried fathers will have parental responsibility provided they are named on their child’s birth certificate, and married fathers automatically have PR when the child’s birth is registered. This means that significant decisions regarding the child’s upbringing, including where they live and who they spend time with, should be made jointly by both parents. However, day-to-day decisions can be made by the parent who has the child in their care at the time.

It is generally advisable to maintain open communication and seek agreement with the other parent regarding changes in your child’s routine or arrangements. If you wish for your child to sleep at your new partner’s house, it is respectful and beneficial to involve the other parent in the decision-making process. This approach fosters a cooperative environment and shows a commitment to co-parenting.

What if my ex objects to me taking my child to my partner’s house?

If the other parent objects to your child sleeping at your new partner’s house, you should try to consider the nature of their objection. In some cases, concerns may be valid, such as issues relating to the child’s safety or the suitability of the new partner’s home. If an agreement cannot be reached between parents, it may be necessary to seek legal advice.

In situations where there are existing court orders, such as a Child Arrangements Order or a Specific Issue Order, then you must adhere to their terms. These orders outline the agreed-upon living and contact arrangements for the child, and breaching them without proper authorisation can have legal consequences. Therefore, if your child sleeping at your new partner’s house conflicts with an existing court order, you should seek legal advice to explore your options.

If disagreements persist and it becomes necessary to involve the court, the judge will consider what is in the child’s best interests. The court will evaluate various factors, including the child’s wishes, their emotional and physical well-being, and the ability of each parent to meet their needs. The court’s decision will ultimately aim to promote stability, maintain relationships, and ensure the child’s welfare is protected.

When it comes to whether your child can sleep at your new partner’s house without the other parent’s permission, there is no definitive answer. The best approach is to prioritise your child’s well-being, maintain open communication with the other parent, and seek agreement whenever possible. However, in situations where disagreements persist, seeking legal advice and, if necessary, applying to the court can provide a resolution. Your goal should be to create an environment that supports your child’s emotional, physical, and psychological development while fostering positive co-parenting dynamics.


Find The Best Divorce & Family Lawyers Near You

We independently review and list the top divorce lawyers and family solicitors in the towns and cities near you. 100% free.

Find The Top Family Lawyers Near You

Noticed an error on this page or something broken? If so, please email us at support[at]

The information on this website is to be considered a guide and is therefore not legal advice. You use this information with the understanding that Wiselaw does not accept liability for any direct or indirect losses as a result of anyone relying on or acting upon the information on this website. Whilst we endeavour to provide accurate information, Wiselaw does not accept liability for any errors or omissions on this website.