How long does a parent have to be absent to lose their rights regarding their child?

In terms of the rights of the parent, they are encompassed by parental responsibility and set out in law as the “responsibility to act in the best interests of the child regarding their health, general wellbeing, welfare, and education up to the age of 18.”